Omega-3 fatty acids are essential
Not all types of dietary fat are the same. Excessive consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol can cause disease, but other fats (essential fatty acids) are necessary for optimal health. Your body cannot produce them in enough quantities so you should obtain them via your diet.
When we talk about balance, omega-3 is one of the health enhancers!
Omega-3 fatty acids have so many biological roles because they are a primary element of health for every cell and organ system in the body;
such as: modulating inflammation, immune response, blood pressure, electrical excitability of heart and brain cells. You might understand that their deficiency results in a “not-optimal functional state” of your body.
Different types of omega-3There are different types of omega-3 fatty acids:
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) are plant based (your body cannot convert it into significant amount into DHA & EPA)
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) & EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) are found in fish and algae (plant based)
Authorities recommend omega-3Omega-3 (EPA & DHA) recieved positive findings from authority’s and institutes:
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority)
- IOM (Institute of Medicine)
- GOED (Global Organization of EPA & DHA)
- NIH (National Institutes of Health)